Friday, January 18, 2013

Blessed Cage

Imprisoned by my own freedom.
Trapped by my own shackles
While the key lies in my hand.
A glass cage surrounds me
Keeping me from touching the beauty around me.
Self-destruction is my only redemption.
Pain my only source of joy.
To live a life I do not want
And want a life I do not live.
Why do I do this?
Because I do want the life I live.
Thoughts fly free through the glass
And my mind is not caged.
My body is in slavery
But my heart roams freely.
I love those I love.
I love those I hate.
I have been given more in this cage
Than most have received in their lives.
I have been given the love of my life
Who I can spend everyday with.
I would not trade that for anything.
Am I really imprisoned
Or I am free?
I have home for living
Bread for eating
A family for loving.
I have all that I need
But not all that I want.
Do I need all that I want?
No.
I am free.
Free to enjoy the things I have been blessed with.
This blessed cage
Is not a cage at all.
It is freedom.
Freedom from a life without walls.
Without walls I could wander.
Wander far from home
Or far from where I belong.
I love the life I'm given.
As I realize the blessing I have
I notice that there never was any glass.
I am free.
Through Christ I am free.
I love my wife.
I love my son.
I love my family.
I love my life.
I love my God.
Thank you, Lord, for my blessed cage.

No comments:

Post a Comment