Wednesday, January 16, 2013

That One Big Rock

Here is another random splurge (word?) of information from yours truly, Cory Goyer.

This was a concept I pieced together the first time I ever went to the Czech Republic and then to Mexico. I call it "Cory Goyer's theory of the moon.

I was a young man who was going on not one but two mission trips back-to-back. It was over a month that I was gone and that was the longest period of time I had ever been away from home.

I missed Montana.

Another little spiget (word?) of information about me is; I love Montana. I really do. I think it is an amazing place. Where I live is beautiful and a great place to live. The summers are awesome. The winters are awful. I love this place.

So by the time I had the left the Czech republic and flew straight to San Diego I had started to miss home. A lot.

Now don't get me wrong I wasn't some awful crybaby just whining and complaining and wishing I could go home to my nice bed and drinkable water. I was homesick yes, but I very much enjoyed my time in Mexico. Some of the greatest God experiences in my life. Was such a fun and fulfilling experience.

I did miss Montana.

One of the nights we were walking around I started feeling a little more homesick then normal. I still had over a week before I got to go home and was just missing the place I love. It was fairly dark out and there was a big bright moon. As I looked up at the moon I thought how nice it would be to look at the big beautiful moon in Montana.

It hit me like an unhappy hippo.

It is the same moon.

Yup. The moon I was looking at right now was the exact same moon I look at in Montana. In fact being that we were in Baha California there was a very good chance that people in Montana were looking at the very same moon right now.

I was so dumbfounded and bewizzled (word?) that I actually laughed out loud which caused several people to give me quite puzzled looks. I didn't care if they thought I was a freak. I just figured out something amazing.

Now you may be saying to yourself "of course it is the same moon". If you said that to yourself, be afraid, I can read your mind.

The cool thing was not finally realizing that it was in fact the same moon but that I could look at the same moon from, well, anywhere. No matter where you are on the planet you can see the moon.

Not at all times mind you. For example those who live in very high latitudes (approaching the poles) have certain times of the month where they cannot see the moon at all. If given enough time though they will be able to look at the very same moon you and I do.

Even in the southern hemisphere they look at the very same moon. The moon looks different to those in the southern hemisphere. If you were to compare the moon in the southern hemisphere (Australia for example) to the moon in the northern hemisphere (Montana for example) it would look upside down.

Yup. The people in Australia actually see the moon upside down. How weird are they?

I find it fascinating to think that no matter where we are we can all look at the same moon.

Most of my family lives in Arkansas and I live in Montana. I get to see the very same moon they do. When I was in Mexico I get to gaze upon the same moon as Montana. No matter where I go or how far I travel from home I get to look at the same moon.

The moon makes me feel like home, everywhere.

The other cool thing the moon does is it connects us. The above mentioned states talked about how I like the moon because it makes me feel good and feel closer to home anywhere, but the moon does that for more than just me.

Like I said, my family lives in Arkansas, thousands of miles away. Even though the are so far we are united by the same moon.

In fact, everyone on the planet is united by the same moon. We all get to look at it and by looking at it we are connected while being separate.

Some people look at the moon in wonder and awe. Some look at just because it is there. Other don't even process the fact that they see the moon in the night sky since it is such a common sight.

Whatever the purpose or reason someone looks at the moon the fact remains; it is the same moon.

So my ultimate purpose is this; when you look at the moon think of me, your friendly neighborhood Cory Goyer. When you look at the moon think of your loved ones who may be far away. When you look at the moon think those you don't even know who is looking at the same moon with you. When you are far away then look at and think of home. That one big rock in the sky can be a point of connection to anyone and anywhere on the planet.

I like the moon. Do you?

1 comment:

  1. I love this! It really is a great reminder that even though the world we live in is SO big, we all see and share the same moon! :) This is amazing :)

    ReplyDelete